CLICK HERE FOR THOUSANDS OF FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATES »

Monday, March 30, 2009

Eva Starr Loveridge

Just about a week ago on March 23rd 2009, my dear sweet grandmother passed away at the age of 91. She was such a light to our family and had so many wonderful qualities that I can only hope to possess one day.

She was always a good sport and loved to be involved in everything around her. She loved her children, grandchildren, but most of all her great grand children. She lit up every time one of them came around. She would say, "Well look who came to see me!"
This is Holden and Gabriel one day with me at the rehab center visiting Grandma!

Just before her health took a turn downhill, I was able to spend a week with her. I will cherish that time I had with her for the rest of my life. I am so grateful for the little chats that we had and the wisdom that she shared with me. I am so grateful as well to the many neighbors that watched my children so that I could be with her just about everyday when she was in the hospital. I was able to hold her hand through the pain and be with her during painful procedures. I have to say that it was so hard to see her in pain and I am so relieved that she has been able to move on and be reunited with her 7 other siblings, mother, father (he died when she was 8 months old and she never knew him), and of course her beloved eternal partner- my Grandpa Loveridge. She was able to pass away peacefully with angels surrounding her to take her back home.
We had the funeral services this past Saturday and I just felt the spirit so strongly testifying of this beautiful woman that had touched so many lives and had been such an example to all of us. It was said many times at the funeral of her example of one who truly possessed charity- the pure love of Christ. She was loving, giving, meek, humble, unselfish, peaceful and strong and immovable in the gospel.
I don't often share thoughts that are very personal to me on this blog, but I feel in this case it's something I would like to do, so if it gets too personal, feel free to skip it!

I don't know why, but this is the first funeral that I've been to that things hit me a little differently. I thought about all of us taking pictures around her casket at the cemetery. This was a day of grieving for the loss of a dearly loved one, but truly was a day of great rejoicing for a reunion in heaven. It also became clear that this time on earth is a special mission for each one of us. Just as I served a mission in Spain, I was sent here on this earth to complete a mission and one day return to my Heavenly Father. I almost thought how lucky my grandma was to be finished with the hardships of her mission here on this earth, but I also thought what a valiant "missionary" she has been and what a faithful and wonderful mission she served here. She is one of the greatest examples to me of one who truly did her best to fulfill all that her Heavenly Father asked of her during this short time she lived on this earth.
Things are not always easy here, but it gave me a moment to reflect on how I handle the trials that are given to me and also to reexamine my relationship with my Heavenly Father and Savior. Am I where I need to be with them in order to have the full spirit with me to help me to know what my mission is on this earth? I believe our mission can change on a daily basis and therefore we need to be constantly listening to the spirit to be an instrument in God's hands. I am grateful for my grandma's example and for the great legacy she left behind.

Because of her example, I want to do better to be more Christ-like and be filled with more charity. She was someone I admired as she lived, and someone I will continue to admire even after her passing. I hope to fulfill my mission on this earth as faithfully as she did hers. We love you grandma and we will do our best to honor your name and our Heavenly Father's and Savior's names.
May we all learn from her life and example and do better in our lives to become greater examples to all who know us. The gospel of Jesus Christ is the true gospel on this earth. The restored truths we have today are from a divine and living God. He knows each one of us and loves us so dearly. I'm grateful for a living prophet who guides our church on this earth today with guidance from our Heavenly Father and Savior. I know families are eternal with the proper ordinances and covenants. I'm grateful for my ancestors who have gone before me and as mentioned in the funeral, have helped to pave the way for me to enjoy the blessings of the gospel I enjoy today. This is my testimony of the true church on this earth today. These these I am grateful for, in the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.

9 comments:

Jen said...

Thanks for sharing your insight and testimony! I appreciate the reminder of the eternal perspective!

Laurel said...

What a sweet tribute. You'll be glad you've got that recorded.

Justin said...

Carrie, I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. I went through the same thing last Saturday at my grandfather's funeral. I too am very grateful that we have a knowlegde of the Plan of Salvation. Thanks for sharing you thoughts and testimony.

Rachel said...

How wonderful to record your thoughts and feelings about your beloved Grandmother. Sorry for your loss.

LadyEm said...

Carrie, thanks for your comment. I love your blog too. The pictures of your babies are adorable and that gator cake is amazingly awesome. Hylan and I stayed at the Anniversary Inn last year in the Treasure Island room. I think your Egyptian room was cooler, though. :)

Holly Janeen said...

love all the updates. i cant believe all that you have been going through and doing... you busy woman you.
come and visit... i cant promise i will be my best self when you do, and i cant even tell you when to come because i never know what the day will entail. but feel free to visit... and as long as you have no germs- come hold my Charlie! :)

ps. i love how you are SERIOUSLY barbie in your wedding pictures. i sware girl... can you give me a makeover?

Shanicherie said...

Carrie! Where have you disappeared to woman? I've missed reading abot your adorable family! I hope all is well!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.